Monday, January 9, 2012

Literacy Narrative

My earliest memories of reading date back to preschool. I remember learning the letters and each of their sounds. My preschool teachers would read us picture books for story time and my favorite was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. As my reading skills progressed, I loved to read. Junie B. Jones books' quickly became my favorite throughout elementary school. My brother, Jake, being two years older than I always brought home his books from middle school when he was finished reading them. I would always pick them up off the shelf and begin to read them in attempt to plan ahead for my future years of middle school. I figured this would give me an edge in my English classes. These tendencies gave me the title of "the smart one" in my family and I loved being better than my brother at something. To this day, the same thing happens. I read the books he brought home from high school in advance and eventually I read Harry Potter.  Then, I read Harry Potter again and again. It was and still is today my favorite book without a doubt. I used to read mainly just to one up my brother and prove that I knew more than he did, but now I read because I thoroughly enjoy it. In addition to Harry Potter, I enjoy books from a wide range authors today. I like James Patterson, John Grisham, Sarah Dessen, Nicholas Sparks, and many, many more. I like reading books based on true stories because it is easier for me to relate to someone or a particular situation if I know it actually happened, however, while nonfiction is more meaningful, I find fiction wildly entertaining. I recently found a new interest in reading Christian literature to help grow in my faith. Reading is filled with constant surprises and I have gained an excessive amount of knowledge from it. I will never regret following my big brother around trying to be better than him, and picking up my first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment