Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reading Log #1

"My quarters are larger than our entire house back home. They are plush, like the train car, but also have so many automatic gadgets that I'm sure I won't have time to press all the buttons. The shower alone has a panel with more than a hundred options you can choose regulating water temperature, pressure, soaps, shampoos, scents, oils, and massaging sponges. When you step out on a mat, heaters come on that blow-dry your body. Instead of struggling with the knots in my wet hair, I merely place my hand on a box that sends a current through my scalp, untangling, parting, and drying my hair almost instantly." (The Hunger Games 75)

While reading the new essential teenage read, The Hunger Games, the previous paragraph stuck out to me, mainly because, Katniss, the main character, comes from a society of scarcity where Charles Darwin's quote "survival of the fittest" seems only appropriate. District 12 isn't so terrible if you have money, however, many people succombed to District 12 live without, including Katniss. The whole story up until the point Katniss is chosen as a tribute in the Hunger Games, which is to my understanding a competition of death, is a description of Katniss's past life and the various hardships she's endured. The paragraph above describes Katniss's room in the Training Center with such extragant technology, but why give so much to someone who is potentially going to die? This question keeps crossing my mind the more I continue to read. Katniss has gone from low class to fine living in a matter of days. I think the "good" that Katniss is experiencing now  foreshadows to her winning the Hunger Games. Atleast, that's what I'm hoping for. With her brilliant entrance to the opening ceremony, I think she gained a fair amount of sponsors which will support her future high living standard. If Katniss doesn't win the Hunger Games, I don't see any point to all of the expensive, high-developed technology that makes Katniss's life wonderful, only to be tortured in the worst experience of her life. It doesn't make sense. On another note, I wish we had that type of technology today. The devices described, not only brought about question, but were quite intriguing. I anticipate technology that can do such things and more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment