Sunday, February 19, 2012

Reading Log #6

This week...Sense and Sensibility. I am one of the few reading this book for pleasure's sake not for AP Literature, I being a student in Jankowski's class. I have previously seen the movie before, but regretted not reading the book first. So finally, I did it. While I am only in 143 pages in, the depth of the novel is much more palpable than the movie. However, most books tend to be. The Dashwoods have lived in the sane town, Sussex,  for many generations at an estate called Norland. After the death of Henry Dashwood, the son of his first married, John Dashwood inherits everything. This setting was all stated very plainly within the first few pages of the novel. I admire all the details early on that prepare you right away for what is to come, rather than novels that take forever to even begin the story. At this point, I like this book. Many claim that it is a girly book, but it also provides another story of a family and the issues that can be solved by communication and reasoning. It is wonderful to collect the specific details, it adds much more to make you think as to what each specific details' purpose is in the story and how it will affect the characters. I really enjoy books that make me think. However, I just started reading a book for a girls bible study at my church, so I will probably hold off on finishing this novel. I guarantee I will finish it someday though, just not sure when.

No comments:

Post a Comment